Many of you may have heard that I became the main shareholder of the Polonia Warszawa football club. In the next few years I will spend millions of PLN hoping to save this legendary club – it is over 100 years old! I want to share with you why I decided to go on this crazy journey 😉
Polonia Warszawa was founded in 1911 – it’s the oldest football club in Warsaw, once it was the largest and strongest in the capital. When Polonia was at its finest, the club won the Polish Championship twice – in 1946 & 2000. After World War II Polonia openly supported the fight against PRL & Communism and the club was associated with Polish intelligentsia. Polonia Warszawa played an important role in the history of Polish football – members of the Club co-founded the Polish Football Association (PZPN) in 1919 & Ekstraklasa in 1927 (you can find out more about the history of Polonia Warszawa HERE).
So why did I decide to invest my money in quite a risky project, Polonia Warszawa revival, instead of buying shares of some well-prospecting company, or a villa in an exotic location for example? I have loved football since I was a kid and today it is still one of my greatest passions. When I was young I dreamt to manage a football club. I chose Polonia because Warszawa is the place I call home – I have been living here since 2006 and since 2016 I am a proud owner of Polish citizenship. Here is everything, which is important to me – my wife and 4 kids born in Warsaw, and everything I own – I have located my entire capital in Poland.
There are a million other ways I could have spent this money, but the thing is that I don’t care about expensive watches, posh cars or big yachts. Luxury does not make me happy – I only buy what I and my family need to live comfortably.
What I truly enjoy the most in life is launching crazy projects, working with passionate people, building great teams, learning new things and giving joy to people (like Polonia Warszawa fans and players). I love competition, fighting against rivals. I experience quite a lot of that in business. Dozens of competitors would like to win with my company Sii Poland, but with poor success so far! 😉 These emotions are even stronger in sport, especially football! So I am hoping to have a lot of fun with this Polonia Warszawa revival project.
My clear objective is to bring Polonia Warszawa back to Ekstraklasa over the next 10 years before June 2029. And my unrealistic dream is to win Polish Football Championships to represent Poland in the UEFA Champions League final against Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich, Juventus Turin, FC Liverpool, or Real Madrid (in the 2030s)! But of course hard work comes first – now we need to fight to stay in the 3rd league, quickly advance to the 2nd league and put all our efforts to organize the club wisely. Soon I will share with you more details about my plans regarding managing this investment.
However, first I would like to present to you our new mission, 6 strategic objectives and 10 core values, which are the soul of Polonia Warszawa. They will apply not only to employees and players – I also would like our fans to adopt them.
We bring joy and give strong emotions to our fans, who share our values, and we build a positive Polonia Warszawa brand not only in Poland, but also all over the world!
6 strategic objectives
1. Financial stability: Our main objective is to maintain financial stability. Without it, we cannot pursue our mission, achieve our strategic goals, recruit good players and build a strong football team. In order to ensure financial stability of Polonia Warszawa, it is necessary for the Club to profit from activities supported by the fans, including the sales of tickets, gadgets and catering during match days.
2. Winning: We fight to get the best results and win against our rivals, whom we respect because they are an inspiration and motivation for us to work even harder and improve every day.
3. Increasing our fans community: We aim to broaden the number of fans and supporters of the Club.
4. Promoting our values: Our values are our moral compass – employees and players follow them every day. We are making every effort to have our fans adopt them because we want football to bring positive emotions and the stadium to be a safe place for everyone without exception.
5. Developing young people’s passion for sport: We develop the Polonia Warszawa Football Academy for all children and young people, regardless of their skills and material status. We teach them how to play football, pass on our values and develop a sporting attitude.
6. Building national pride in sport: Our long-term dream is to build the best Polish football team, of which the people from Warsaw and the whole country will be proud. We want Polonia Warszawa to compete against the best European teams and our Polonia brand to be known all over the world, which through great results and positive values will increase the recognition of our country abroad.
10 core values
1. Enthusiasm and positive energy – Can-do attitude is what defines us. Problems happen every day. We treat them as challenges always looking for new out-of-the-box solutions.
2. Fairness – We act according to fair play principles and treat all rivals fairly. Our achievements are purely based on how we perform on the pitch and how we manage the Club. This also applies to judges – we accept and do not question their decisions – they are authorities to us.
3. Fighting spirit and ambition – The status quo does not satisfy us – we are hungry for victory. We constantly strive to be better, and, above all, win against our rivals – competition is the main reason we love this sport! We set ourselves ambitious goals and pursue them restlessly. We are never fully satisfied with our performance and we constantly challenge ourselves to improve and achieve even better results. Thanks to our commitment and passion, we fight until the last drop of sweat.
4. Modesty and humility – We are ambitious and confident in our abilities, but, despite our success and great performance, we remain modest and humble. We are not afraid to admit mistakes and failures as we can learn a lot from them, and we are aware that we are not always right. We accept constructive criticism, which to us is as a means to learn & improve ourselves.
5. Pride – We want Polonia Warszawa to be spoken about with pride, with players proud to wear their “Black Shirts – Czarne Koszule”, fans proud to support the team and partners proud to cooperate with the Club.
6. Solidarity – Regardless of the circumstances, we stand together in both good and bad times. We celebrate together when we win and comfort each other when we lose. We don’t give up when we face a challenge, but instead we support each other.
7. Team spirit – A harmonious team is our greatest asset. We know it is impossible to win a match alone and that we can achieve much more as a team. We do not let our individual differences distract us from what we, as a team, aim for. Despite constructive conflicts between team members, we always look for compromise and put the benefit of the majority in front of individual interests. We are not afraid to part ways with troublemakers who have a negative influence on our joint performance. We believe it gives us an advantage and is the engine for further growth.
8. Tolerance, equality and respect – We accept all people, regardless of race, background, age, sexual orientation, religion, material status or the club they support. During Polonia’s matches, everyone is always welcome in the stands, which are supposed to be a safe place for everybody without exception. We also respect our rivals. We share sporting emotions with their fans driven by the same passion. We are strangers to hatred and aggression.
9. Transparency and courage – We believe that transparency is an essential part of any relation. We remain open and honest with everyone: fans, employees, players and partners, even if it is politically incorrect or may hurt someone. We are not afraid of challenges and risks, facing the consequences of our choices. We always have the courage to express our opinion. If it is justified, we make unpopular decisions, for example denying access to the stadium to fans who do not respect our values.
10. Trust and freedom – We have confidence in our fans, employees and players and delegate our decision power to lower hierarchical levels (trainer, team captain, etc.). Each person is different. We appreciate each player’s individuality & uniqueness. All fans have the right to criticize Polonia and express their opinion. But any criticism should be constructive, communicated in a friendly way, without violence and hatred.
Stay tuned for more details about this investment.
P.S. Let me know what you think about our mission, 6 strategic objectives & 10 core values! 😊
To jest naprawdę niesamowite, że moge czytać tak mądre i rozsądne słowa z ust właściciela Polonii. Tej Polonii, która do tej pory była tak zarządzana, że doprowadziło ją to niemalże do upadku i niebytu w polskiej piłcce. Życzę powodzenia w budowaniu wielkiego klubu, o jakim marzymy wszyscy. Wierzę, że uda zbudować się klub w Warszawie, który będzie reprezentował te wartości o jakich Pan wspomniał. Trzymamy kciuki!
first of all thank you for sharing your objectives and values. They all great and absolutely necessary , a must have , for any organization, including football club. Still , looking from the organization point of view , please allow me to suggest to make a shoter list of values which I believe would make it stronger and more acceptable to follow for your FC Polonia Team .
Good to having you Warszawa and all the success in this undertaking.
Best regards , stay safe
Very good decision. See you soon on Konwiktorska 6!
Great plan! Great Club! Warsaw need at last 2 strong clubs, cant wait to watch Derby, Pride of Capital vs Legia.
warto założyć galerie sławnych graczy
I don’t remember anyone who was in charge of Polonia who would have such clear, ambitious, realistic plans. Great news for this club for the first time since our promotion to 2and league in 2016 🙂
Szacunek to jedyne co mi w tej chwili przychodzi do głowy!
I keep my fingers crossed. I’ve supported Polonia since 2008 and I am very happy that You are a new chairman of club.
I completely agree with You Greg.
sounds great, fingers crossed and iam waiting of course for CL final against PSG in 2030 🙂 my best.
It looks like Polonia is finally in great hands. I keep my fingers crossed for this mission. I’m sure you can do it. We were waiting for someone like you long time. The most important thing at the moment (IMHO) is point no 9 – transparency. We need to build…TRUST again. I’m sure that people will back to the stadium in 2020/2021 campaign. We are all waiting for better times at K6. We are all believe in “Czarne Koszule” and in you Gregoire.
All the best in your new journey!
Thank you and good luck Sir.
Greg, your investment in Polonia was the most important event of that year. I am Polonia fan since I 30 years and always had Polonia at heart as it was different from other clubs and especially in terms of fans community. Your plans are just proof that there will be finally someone with enough leadership capabilities to turn Polonia into long terms sustainable growth. Congrats and go for more.
Great vision! It’s time to share a real values, trust, tolerance, respect etc. not only in football, in our whole lives. It’s good time for it. I’m proud that Polonia has a owner like you.
Mr. Nitot, I truly believe you are by far the first owner of Polonia Warszawa football operations who has a long-term plan and ambitions. Fingers crossed.
Mrs. Nitot, you have fully support from whole Polonia fans environment. Good luck to us – we are one team.
At first I thought why would you be writing about Sii core values in the context of the Polonia investment. And then I read the full article. What a refreshing approach to managing a sport club! It’s inspiring to see how you apply the same way to manage both club and company – a demonstration of how authentic you really are.
I’m full of confident that this project will be done !
Thanks for Your mission.
Love it! Best of luck and I hope you realize all your strategic objectives
Your enthusiasm to drive this journey is incredible, and could be a key of your future success.
All the core values are nice. Your strategy is full of hope, sometimes even sounds like a dream.
It’s clear, that after the Coronavirus, a lot of things will change, and perhaps the amount of money to manage a football team will reduce. Because today, to reach the Ekstraklasa in 10 years is feasible (if I remember well, Lechia Gdansk has done in 8 years), even to win this championship, but to play European Cup versus the Top 10 teams: sorry, no way !
Perhaps, you don’t know, I had the great pleasure to manage several sport entities in Poland, and to meet many managers and boards of the main club in Poland. On the top, already in Poland is difficult, if you want to step up, the difficulties increases.
I know, that you like big challenges, theses ones are in front of you, I hope you will success: good and happy journey !!
Great and brave idea! I wish you Champions League sooner than planned! Fingers crossed.
Bold, Involved, Unifier. Bravo Gregoire to invest more than cash in this humans adventure.
Womens and guys like you are precious and will help to get into the virtuous circle : stronger polish football teams in the next decades = better FIFA rank = more investments…
Warszawa is big enough to compare with Madrid (Real / Atletico), Manchester (United /City), London (Arsenal/Chelsea/Totenham), Milan (Juventus/Inter) and more eg… lets hope that the Legia Comitee will be klever enough to show at least a warm welcome to Polonia
Last but not least your core values are a big open arms attitude to build a strong women team who could compete within next decades against OL, FC Barca, PSG, Bayern M.
Bardzo chętnie włączymy się do realizacji wraz z naszymi wolontariuszami. Konkretną propozycję wysłaliśmy już na maila klubu. Do boju Polonia!
Dobre pomysły, brakuje jednak odcięcia się od ludzi, którzy szkodzili Polonii vide Jerzy Engel itd.
First of all thank you for sharing your objectives and values. They’re all great and necessary , a must have , for any organization, including a football club. Still, from the organization point of view, please allow me to suggest to make a shorte list of values which I believe would make it stronger and more acceptable for your FC Polonia Team.
Good to having you in Warszawa and all the success with this undertaking.
Best regards and stay safe .
Leo Benhakker once said to the previous owner: “Joseph, in football 2+2 it’s not always 4.” I wish it becomes a high 5 for you and your partners and supporters. Exciting times for Warsaw to come, fingers crossed!
Mimo że nie jestem pracownikiem Sii A do samej branży IT jest mi bardzo daleko. To trochę już słyszałem.
Co mnie osobiście ujęło to fakt że w dobie kryzys nie przeprowadzaliście zwolnień. A wszędzie przedsiębiorcy tylko straszą o zwolnieniach. Poszedł Pan trudniejsza drogą. Ale bardziej szlacjetą
Bliżej mi do piłki nożnej. Choć nie tej Warszawskiej. To łączy Nas wspólna pasją do tego sportu.
Jeśli będzie Pan z taką pasją podchodził jak rozwinął Pan swoje dziecko Sii. To o Polonię jestem pewien 😉
Życzę Sobie takie pracodawcę jak Pan. Osobę która szanuje innych. Mający swoją pasję.
Pozdrawiam i życzę powodzenia
Mimo że nie jestem pracownikiem Sii. To trochę już słyszałem. Za co najbardziej szanuję Pana. To za to że nie zwalniał Pan pracowników w kryzysie. Pójście trudniejsza drogą chociaż według mnie bardziej szlachetną. Pokazuje że nie lubi Pan chodzić na skróty. Jak również szanuje Pan innych.
Chociaż do IT mi bardzo daleko. To bliżej do piłki. Chociaż nie do tej Warszawskiej.
Chociaż łączy nas wspólna pasja.
To czytając blog, słuchając innych informacji. To sądzę że Polonia trafiła w dobre ręce.
Osobiście życzę Sobie takiego pracodawcę jak Pan.
Pozdrawiam i życzę powodzenia
First of all, I am a fan of Wisła Kraków, not Polonia Warsaw. But as a Wisła fan, I can’t wait for the match between Wisła and Polonia. Of course, in the Ekstraklasa. It will be a long time before it happens, but when this happens both clubs should get up from their knees and return to their rightful place. I am curious about the clash of “new generation” owners of Polish clubs, their vision and approach to building a club. It can be as interesting as fighting on the pitch. I will certainly look at the development of the Polonia and support you in rebuilding the club, and I will do it with the greater interest as to there are many similarities between the Wisła last year and the current Polonia. Both clubs stood on the edge and were already getting ready to fall, in both cases a drastic change is needed (in Wisła it has been in progress for a year, and now after finalization of the official takeover of the club by the new owners is gaining momentum, in Polonia is just beginning), and although due to the difference in levels of leagues, other tools are needed, and so different ways overcoming the crisis have to be aplied, the final goal is the same: to climb to the top again. It will be an interesting competition in the PR field, club organization, budget building (generally in the offices), scouts departament building, team building vision, which I hope in a few years will be crowned with competition on the league field. Respect for undertaking this task. For Wisła to be stronger, we need strong competition, so good luck on your project.
All of this looks great, I’m looking forward to you implementing all of these values and creating a competitive and friendly football club in downtown Warsaw.
I need to ask you something though: Please beware of Jerzy Engel and their entourage! They were the architects of the many failures that our club has had to endure in the recent years.
I want to join as a footballer am 24 years how do i contact you?
Gratulacje za pomysł !!!
Podoba mi się, że w Klubie oprócz pionu sportowego będzie również prowadzona misja, która ułatwi tożsamość w czasach kiedy wyniki sportowe niekoniecznie będą na wysokim poziomie. Podoba mi się również określenie czasu i celów.
I have been Polonia’s fun for 58 years. After long period of gloomy years there is a hope, more than hope – THERE IS A PROMISE!
We are very, very happy that you have decided to undertake this challenging task to bring Polonia Warszawa on a path of glory.
Reading your explanation we strongly support your value system, your strategy and your transparency philosophy.
We believe: in you, in your impeccable business reputation, in your humble approach and in your experience.
We fully agree with Emil Kot: “Polonia is finally in great hands”!
We are ready to help you!
Just whistle and we will be there for you!
Good luck!!! Polonia family is unbelievable and loyal. Let s hope, your and our dreams come true.
My Fani Polonii Warszawa będziemy wspierać Pana całym sercem.
Best of luck to you. Polonia is in my heart and I would love to watch it raise again.
Will see you all at the game, hopefully soon.
We are proud that you are the new Polonia’s President! Now we can sing again: DUMA STOLICY, Polonia DUMA STOLICY!
Thank you for sharing this. It gives me the hope & belive that better times will come soon. The potential in the club and fans community is really great/ Warsaw is big developing city that want to have football alternative. Your approach is very professional. You are the first owner of the club who has it. Keeping fingers crossed and I am ready to be a part of this project 🙂
I wish you great satisfaction after Champions League Final 2035.
Just a great guy
This is a great moment in the history of our club. I believe in the success of the entire undertaking. Polonia deserves to play in the first league. Good luck !
Greg, finally there is hope for Polonia! I keep my fingers crossed!
As an English man of Polish decent who has looked from afar to see Polonia results and news, I’m happy to see someone with a genuine desire to help the club establish itself and create a platform for a serious rival to Leger. I had hoped to visit in April for a game and to buy shirts and souvenirs but COVID happened. I hope you are all well since these times and I hope to make a visit as soon as practical.